With the increase in the size of homes, the size of garages has increased as well. With this, several companies have now started offering garage doors in larger sizes. If you are looking to get a new door for your expanded garage, you might have checked out different door sizes at stores. The question plaguing you now may be how to choose the right door size for your garage. Here are a few tips that can help you make your decision more easily.
Things to Remember While Determining Garage Size
- Measure the height and width of your garage.
- Most old houses have small garages designed to accommodate smaller cars. For such garages, a door of the size 8 feet in width and 7 feet in height should be more than enough.
- Usually the door size ranges from 8 feet to 20 feet. The width of your garage and the size of the automobile will help you determine the ideal door size.
- If you are building a new garage, your builder will most probably follow the latest norms and recommend a door that measures 9 feet in width and 7 feet in height.
- In case you own a truck, the door size will increase to about 10 feet in width and 8 feet in height.
Taking Measurements for Garage Doors
If you happen to own a garage without door and are planning to install one, you will have to measure the dimensions carefully. Measure the width and height keeping in mind the space where you will install the tracks for your garage door.You can do the measurements yourself in case you are planning to install the door yourself. However, this is not advisable as it is too risky for an amateur to try. Hire a professional who can take accurate measurements for you and install the door.
Tips for Changing Door Size
At times you need to change the door size. Usually, people expand their garages to accommodate their larger vehicles. However, the common misconception is that just increasing the door size is enough to squeeze in their larger vehicles.This is not true. You will also need to take into consideration the depth and roof height of the garage to accommodate a larger vehicle. For this, you might have to make dimensional changes in your garage itself. Although a tough task, it is not impossible. You can ask a garage door repair professional to help you with this.